Haruhi Fujioka (藤岡 ハルヒ, Fujioka Haruhi) is the main character of the Ouran High School Host Club series. She is a highly intelligent 1st-year student from a middle-class family ("poor" and "common" in the eyes of Ouran students) who attends Ouran Academy on scholarship based upon an entrance exam. As she is required to remain first in her class to keep her scholarship, her studies are very important to her.
Before Haruhi attends Ouran Academy, she's described as a pretty girl as seen in flashbacks when she had long hair and wore a girl's uniform. However, upon entering Ouran Academy, this image changes drastically. When Haruhi is first introduced in the anime, she sports a nerdy and boyish look that differs greatly from her middle-school appearance. Having gotten gum in her hair just before school begins, she cuts it short. Being unable to afford the expensive Ouran uniform, she wears shapeless, baggy clothing. With her messily-styled hairdo, large glasses (which once belonged to her grandfather) and masculine clothing, she is assumed to be a boy and Haruhi does nothing to discredit this idea.Apart from the few times that she dons a wig during cosplay, Haruhi resembles a cute, somewhat short host with cropped brown hair. Her female clients often comment on her large and shiny eyes, likening them to a girl's; the shininess actually caused by contact lenses. Her natural affinity with people and sweet face cause many people, regardless of gender, to develop a crush on her. Haruhi is sometimes likened to her deceased mother, Kotoko Fujioka. This resemblance is particularly notable when she dresses up as a female during some of the Host Club's schemes and events. Her true gender is revealed in the manga just before she leaves to study abroad and though most students are initially disbelieving, they soon accept and embrace the truth. Haruhi's appearance outside of Ouran Academy varies. She often wears simple tee-shirts and Bermuda shorts when she is at home or a feminine dress coupled with jeans. Haruhi's father, Ryoji "Ranka" Fujioka, is persistent in his attempts to have Haruhi dress more in more feminine garb. After Haruhi leaves for America, she grows her hair out until it reaches its original length and she keeps her hair long throughout college.
Haruhi's rose color in the Host Club is red. In Japanese culture, this signifies life and romance, an apt color for the heart and lifeblood of the series. In Western culture, the red rose is a symbol of beauty and perfection, which is how the other hosts view her. Throughout most of the world, it is the red rose that symbolizes true romance and a loving heart.
Although she may be unflappable under normal circumstances, she suffers from Brontophobia, which terrifies her to the point of paralysis. Apart from this, she tends to have a peaceful nature, refuses to shirk work and is crazy about gourmet food, especially ootoro (aka fancy tuna), which is sometimes used as a bribe to involve her in the Host Club's crazier schemes. Without such bribery, however, Haruhi is described as "apathetic," especially when it comes to making decisions and, particularly, in regards to the Host Club itself. She is also rather oblivious when it comes to her own emotions, an example of this being her unawareness of her developing love for Tamaki over the course of the series.
Upon being designated a host, she becomes an immediate hit with the ladies due to her conversational skills and her charming smiles, gaining her the title of the "Natural" type. Though often exasperated with her fellow Host Club members, she cares deeply for them, in her own way. In return, the male hosts are quite protective of their "secret princess" and regard her with respect and affection in spite of any antics they may demonstrate.
Haruhi is born under the star sign of Aquarius, the Water Bearer. The positive traits of this sign are honesty, curiosity, innovation and amiability; the negative traits being inconsistency, disinclination, detachment, deviation tendencies and inefficiency.
The Fujioka Family includes: Haruhi, Ryoji and Kotoko (deceased). When Haruhi was only five years old, Kotoko died from an unspecified illness. Despite her death, Haruhi and Ryoji still value Kotoko in their lives and Haruhi still looks up to Kotoko as her role model in life.
Ryoji is Haruhi's cross-dressing father who works as a professional entertainer and asks that the hosts call him by his stage name, Ranka. He is a doting and over-energetic parent, which contrasts greatly with his daughter's dry and disinterested nature, but which is quite similar to Tamaki's emotional nature. Although the two love each other dearly, Haruhi tends not to openly express her feelings, while her father is quite the opposite. When he first meets Tamaki, Ryoji is less than impressed, but gradually comes to accept him. In later chapters, it is seen that he enjoys teasing the blond as evidenced in Volume 17's omake, where he and Yuzuru Suoh team up to prank Tamaki while he's visiting Ryoji to ask for his Haruhi's hand in marriage.Ep 10 - A Day in the Life of the Fujioka Family! and photographs. Kotoko is often described by Ryoji as a beautiful and smart woman, as well as a great cook. She serves as Haruhi's role model as is evidenced by Haruhi's decision to follow in her mother's footsteps and become an attorney (a person appointed to act for another in business or legal matters). She is remembered as having lived to make her family happy and, due to this selfless behavior, Haruhi and Ryoji speak highly of her. She was known to be popular and well-known at her Law School and is revered as a former Zuka Club fan by Ryoji, who keeps a box of Kotoko's Zuka memorabilia in a closet.
His over-the-top narcissistic behavior causes Haruhi to think of him as obnoxious. Yet, just like him, she slowly develops feelings of which she is oblivious. When they finally confess to each other, Haruhi is the first to express her feelings with Tamaki responding, "Me, too," then kissing her. When she moves to the United States at the end of the series, Tamaki follows, moving into the apartment next to hers. In an omake of the manga, they are seen living in Boston as a couple, opening the door to Ranka's house to tell him about their engagement, and their subsequent wedding. In Volume 18 of the manga, it is revealed that Haruhi and Tamaki are the first of the Hosts to have children.
Although she first thinks of him as a cold and manipulative person, she later comes to understand that his detached manner is a facade and that, underneath it all, he is a good-hearted person. This discovery is made when Kyoya helps a woman out of a jam during a trip to a local mall in Ep 17 - Kyoya's Reluctant Day Out! Though he attempts to cover up his good deed by declaring he recognized the woman as a family business associate due to a ring on her finger, Haruhi reasons that he couldn't have possibly seen the ring and, thus, is covering up his better nature. Throughout the series, the two have many conversations and share a common trait in their level-headedness, becoming close to the point that, in the last episode of the anime series, Haruhi proclaims quite loudly that he is an amazing person to none other than Kyoya's father. A running gag in the series is his being the "Mommy" in Tamaki's fantasy family in which Haruhi is the "Beloved Daughter" and Tamaki is "Daddy." Kyoya's romantic interest in Haruhi is unverified in the anime and suppressed in the manga as he wishes his best friend Tamaki to find happiness with her.Ep 07 - Jungle Pool SOS! Mori heads into the woods to find Honey and Haruhi tags along. Upon seeing snakes and insects, she becomes spooked which provokes Mori to carry her. This is also the first time he addresses Haruhi by name, which makes Haruhi happy. Bisco Hatori admits in the manga that Mori was a potential love interest, though she reversed herself on many things. Mori is the first one to greet Haruhi and Tamaki when they have their first child. Usa-chan) and he is the first person to reach out to her when she first encounters the Host Club, calling her "Haru-chan" and extending an offer to eat cake with him. He is also the second person (after Kyoya who knew all along) to realize Haruhi's true gender, which proves him to be as clever as Kyoya. His relationship with Haruhi is best described as a sibling-like one, as he can often be found helping Haruhi out in various scenarios, especially when it comes to understanding her own or another's feelings. Chapter 82 of the manga, it's mentioned that Mei dresses Haruhi for her first date with Tamaki and gives her love advice. Haruhi and Mei may be considered "best friends" as their relationship with one another grows closer throughout the manga series. Mei is the only girl with whom Haruhi shares her deepest feelings.
He appears at the door of the Host Club and Haruhi is warned by Tamaki to stay away from him. She later accidentally calls Kirimi Shashimi and he instantly corrects her. In the dorama, he constantly encounters her in the Academy corridors. When he bemoans that Kirimi will be better off without him, Haruhi feels sorry for him and softly mumbles his name. Ooverall, she displays kindness towards him, being a kind person and he responds to her sweet nature.
Haruhi is shocked at Kirimi's exposure to and extensive knowledge of shojo manga. As Nekozawa is going through light exposure training by the Host Club, she is forced by Kirimi to read dozens of Kirimi's manga to her. She later is happy when she learns that Kirimi has reunited with her brother.Gardening Club, causing her to react with rarely-seen excitement. She even attends the Gardening Club with him when the Host Club is on hiatus for a week during Class 2-A's field trip to France. It is mentioned that when she studies abroad in America, she emails him daily. When Kasanoda meets Mei in college, Mei informs him that "everyone" knows about his crush on Haruhi, but he claims that he's over it by then. Haruhi tells her friends that Mei and Kasanoda would make a good couple. Miyabi Ichijo, and that Haruhi is her hero after "saving her life" by pushing her out of the way of a falling ladder. Haruhi considers Renge as her friend throughout the anime series. Renge respects Haruhi because of her placid nature and finds her "really cute." Renge occasionally asks Haruhi to teach her to bake cookies, which Haruhi does. Renge accepts Haruhi's cross-dressing during the final Host Club party, for which Haruhi is most grateful. Ep 02 - The Job of a High School Host! It is also seen in Ep 08 - The Sun, The Sea and the Host Club! when Momoka blushes after Haruhi calls her "cute" in her swimsuit. After learning that Haruhi has been cross-dressing in the last chapter of the manga, she continues to support and enjoy Haruhi's friendship. In an omake, Haruhi is seen to be attending Ouran University and talking to Momoka, proving that they are still friends after high school.
- The name Haruhi means "spring" (春) or "clear weather" (晴) (haru) and "day, sun" (日) or "empress, queen" (妃) (hi).
- The name Haruhi (ハルヒ, Haruhi) is spelled using the katakana writing system and is a common name given to girls in Japan, although it is considered a non-gendered name (much like the name Chris in English can be male or female). Although it has many meanings, the meaning attached to her name is "Spring Day".
- Haruhi's birthday is on the 4th of February and is said to be the first day of Spring in Japan. In Japan, the word for "Spring" is "Haru" (春) and it is spoken in the same way as the first part of Haruhi's name. Other birth dates considered for her were likewise associated with the seasons and/or floral themes.
- Haruhi's surname Fujioka means "spring," a common Japanese euphemism for sex.
- Haruhi's Japanese voice actor and Hikaru's Japanese voice actor are married in real-life.
- At times, Haruhi uses "Ore" when referring to herself, a masculine denotation.
- Caitlin Glass (Haruhi's English voice actor) also voices:
- Haruhi's mobile phone is red, which also matches her rose color.
- In Ep 22 - Mori-senpai Has an Apprentice Candidate!, the Host Club cosplays as the Shinsengumi, and though no one had a set identity, Renge states Haruhi looks like Souji Okita.
- While Haruhi marries Tamaki, there are instances where she is shown to have something other than platonic interest in both Mori and Kyoya. In Ep 07 - Jungle Pool SOS!, she is "just a little pleased" when Mori says her name for the first time. In Ep 25 - The Host Club Declares Dissolution!, she confronts Yoshio Ootori (Kyoya's father) and tells him out loud "I think Kyoya-senpai is amazing."
- Haruhi does not like sweets and rabbits very much.
- It's better to be recognized by who you are than be recognized by what sex you are.
- (To Renge) I think it's fun to know the person little by little by looking at their personality.
- Why should I care about appearances and labels anyway? It's what's on the inside that counts.
- A person can change at the moment when the person wishes to change.
- (To herself) I hate all these damn rich people.
- (About Kyoya) He's like some kind of heartless tax collector.
- (To Tamaki) Come on, Senpai, would you please stop growing mushrooms in other people's closets?
- (To Honey) I'm not a hero, I'm an honor student.
- (To Kotoko) Mom... Mom in heaven... Does love come suddenly like this?
- (To Hikaru) I would solve a friend's problem... then also find a way to keep them from ending up with a new problem.
- (To Kotoko) "When a mother has to be away providing for the family, her children know she is doing it out of love. Sure they might get lonely from time to time, but they understand."
- (To Tamaki) "Now I know what S&M means."
- (To Tamaki) "Don't go blowing up my pictures without my permission!!"